Tuesday, May 01, 2007

of note

This week with the Holdaway's:

Back on the subject of books again...I'm slowly but surely plunking my way through my booklist. The local library has everything I'm looking for, and then some. I'm trying to go at least once a week. Currently I'm listening to, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath on CD, performed by Maggie Gyllenhaal. It affords me the opportunity to watch Peter, cook dinner and "read" all at the same time. P.S. Can I technically count it as "reading" if I am merely listening to it on an audio CD? I'm also 1/3 of the way through The Phantom Menace by Terry Brooks (which I keep in the bathroom to make sure I'm reading at least a few pages a day). I decided that I needed to go back and read all the original Star Wars books. Surprisingly, it's actually not too bad; Jar Jar is much more digestible on paper.

Mike worked some extra hours last week due to graduation and commencement, so he has been coming home early this week which I am LOVING. He has been helping with PK, doing dishes, and he even baked some cookies with me to take to the families he home teaches. Today he weeded the strawberry patch, and we finally got all the rocks out of our front flower bed. Now to begin the long and arduous process of mulching and tilling it before I can start planting. I'm thinking I will put a couple of rose bushes, some iris and maybe a hollyhock or two there. Any suggestions or ideas? It is an area that gets sunlight almost all day long, so I need to put in plants that can withstand the summer heat. Back on the subject of Mike: he has also been watching the Jazz in their playoff games. Most nights I can hear him shouting at the referees from the living room.

Peter is growing like a weed and becoming more interested in the world around him. If he's fussy a little trip outside usually does the trick in quieting him down. He loves the trees and birds. He is drooling a lot, and puts everything within his reaching radius directly into his mouth. I've learned to loosen up a bit and not stress over sanitizing every little nook and cranny. Unfortunately he has allergies, so his little eyes and nose have been running this week. I can't wait until the cottonwood trees around here are in bloom. (Can you hear the sarcasm dripping from my voice)? I need to call the doctor as well, to set up his 6 month check-up. I can't believe he's already in his 6-12 month clothes! Right now his favorite toys are his baby books, dinosaur, activity center and Classical Baby DVD's. We have also discovered he is ticklish, (especially under his neck and arms) which usually elicits peals of giggles! Oh yeah and he loves to squeal loudly in sacrament meeting too.

3 comments:

Gardner Family said...

So I was just at Home Depot a little while ago drooling over the flower and plant seeds. I know sounds crazy right??? I just can't wait to have a real yard, in a real house! My suggestion is lavender!! Smells good and keeps bad bugs away...or so I've heard. My Mom rocks the garden scene. I'll get some tips from her and pass them your way. PEACE OUT MOMMA! 3 MONTHS!!!! YYAAAAHHHH!

Kelly & Gary said...

I think your yard is coming along great! I would do the iris like you said, since they are your favorite. Thanks for yesterday, Meg! It was fun to hang out with you and Peter. I love that little chubba so much! You're cookies were excellent as well! Have a good week!

Anonymous said...

I just love love love listening to babies laugh! I'm so lucky that Emily is ticklish- we have a tickle session every morning! Your garden sounds like it will be beautiful! That's a big thing I miss living in apts. You'll post pictures, right?!