Friday, May 30, 2008

Brat Fest 2008

I realize that I am doing two posts about food almost back-to-back, but how could I possibly go to Wisconsin and not eat one of their world famous brats? (For those of you who have never tried a brat before they are basically a spicy hot dog...on steroids.)

Over the Memorial Day weekend Madison holds their annual Brat Fest. It's actually a pretty cool idea. All of the food, drinks, live entertainment, carnival rides, etc. are donated to the festival, and all of the proceeds from the event go to support local charities. Every year they try and break the previous years world record for most brats consumed in a three day period. Last year, the world record was around 189,000. This year? Approximately 191,712 brats were eaten.
Large grills are set up along the length of a semi-truck, and condiment lines can take up to 10 minutes (even the missionaries were out there working the mustard and sauerkraut tables). For Brat Fest 2008 they even introduced a new commodity to the menu: the double brat. It's basically a double-barreled version of the original, with an extra-wide bun to accommodate. In other words: a heart attack waiting to happen.

Still, it was a lot of fun to be out amongst all the beer-drinking cheese-heads, and enjoy the live music, food and carousel rides. As they say, when in Rome...

4 comments:

Ann Marie said...

What fun! I wish we had a food to be known for here in ol' Utah besides Jello and fry sauce. Glad you took pictures of it all...
Can't wait to see the rest of your trip!

Marie said...

How fun! I love brats--with mustard and sauerkraut, naturally! I'm so glad that you had fun and that you were able to participate in a world-record-breaking event. :D

Foxyboxy said...

Meg,
Guaranteed, there is no one else that reads your blog that has been to the Brat Fest. Not only are you a world traveler, you are a one-of-a-kind world traveler. :) And congrats on your American Girl shopping extravaganza. It would be best to have a daughter sometime...Peter may not share the same enthusiasm! :)

Eric said...

I am so jealous. Not only were you able to eat a Johnsonville brat in it's home state, but you also got to see the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile.