Tuesday, December 16, 2008

...and she was sore afraid.

Snowmen freak me out.

I'm not talking about the cute little ice sculpture sitting on your front lawn. I'm referring to the commercially successful snowmen that are on every aisle of every store, in every shape and size. Decorations, ornaments, dishes, greeting cards, tea towels, rugs, cloth replicas, ceramic models, and (heaven forbid) enormous blow-up snowmen that eerily watch us from lawns and rooftops across America! And yes, this includes Christmas icon and beloved children's cartoon: Frosty the Snowman.

*gasp!*

I don't know what it is about them. They just look sinister, angry and sort of non-human. Almost like a Christmas alien.

Now before I completely insult and offend all of my readers, let me just say that I have many friends who are self-proclaimed "snowman lovers", and I have yet to break off a relationship with them because of this. For example: my sister-in-law Allison loves a good snowman. Her entire Christmas collection features pretty blue decor, and you guessed it, matching Frosty's everywhere. Yet, I will still go to her house, and even sit on a couch next to one! Because you know what? I'm a team player like that.

For all of my dear friends and family who have unknowingly bought me snowmen decorations throughout the years, don't feel bad. How were you to know? I've tried to hide this embarrassing fact for quite some time. In fact, most of my Christmas tree is made up of "gift" snowmen that I don't have the heart to hide away. But for all of you out there who were thinking about going "snowman" on me this year (or any time in the near future), please, please, please do me a favor and torture someone else.

I don't mean to come off as complete ice princess, but I just can't take the Frosty Returns! nightmares any longer. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

Megan "bah humbug" Holdaway

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ha ha ha!! That was hilarious!! Now you've got me peeking over my shoulder at my snowmen. Dang it, I was going to give you the life size rotating snow man for Christmas but darn it, it will just have to go back! BTW- the cartoon is hilarious! -Suzanne

Mel said...

Heather is a snowman lover!!!

Ann Marie said...

That is a HILARIOUS cartoon!
I've got to show Chad.

I am so glad you finally posted this. I love people keeping it REAL. I love to give gifts that people really enjoy, and I wish I knew all of my friends likes and phobias. ;)

( Sorry.. here comes the organizing part of me to speak.. )

I really think that this year when you go to put the decorations away, I would leave out the Snowmen for your friends that like them. Part with them, and visit them at there homes. You should have Christmas stuff that YOU love.
I am still waiting for the cute Santas....

PS: It's a good thing in my case that people don't decorate with Snakes. Can you imagine the horror? He-He!
I understand you girl..

HeaddaMarie said...

Oh, I so know what I am getting you!! A WHOLE LOT of snowmen!! hahaha You totally crack me up!!

Unknown said...

You are more than welcome to cover the snowmen when you come over. I will totally understand. Now, is it the same with the Stay Puff Marshmallow guy?
Al

Anonymous said...

Okay, team player- now I'm afraid of snowmen AND ice cream cones after that cartoon!

Marie said...

Ho ho ho! You crack me up, Meg. I can't say that there's anything Christmas that I don't like--I consider myself an equal opportunity celebrant. But what I love most of all are advent calendars, nativities, and ornaments that mean something (like trips, etc.).

Oh, yeah, and I'll have to show you the snowman the kids built. It's just shorter than Sofie (so you know, you can barely see it from the street!).

Gardner Family said...

now why do I have th strong desire to buy you a giant frosty...hehehhe just kidding...i knew you were a santa collector. I never knew you were a snowman hater though. It's okay...some of the snowmen creep me out too. Mainly the ones with beady eyes. It's funny though you blogged this. Just a few days ago my friend Brenda in Alaska was telling me that she realized she has an obsession with snowmen and basically her entire tree is covered with snowmen. Her husband told her that she loves fat bald men...so you must love hairy fat men .....hehhehehehehe.

Susan said...

I love the cartoon! I showed it to a friend and she said, now I know why I don't like soft serve ice cream. LOL