There have been a lot of conflicting opinions about what should be done regarding the war in Iraq, especially concerning the safety of the troops. While I will keep my own thoughts to myself on the subject, I read a book recently that stirred up some feelings of compassion and interest on the topic of war, and I wanted to share it with all of you. A few weeks ago Mike and I went to the local library, where I checked out a book titled, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr (you may have seen me mention it on one of my gratitude blogs). It's a children's book that was written in the 1970's about a young girl named Sadako Sasaki who was living in Hiroshima when the atomic bomb was dropped on August 6, 1945. Her family lived 1 mile from ground zero. Although she was 2 at the time the bomb fell, it wasn't until she was 11 that she was diagnosed with leukemia as a result of radiation from the bomb.
The Japanese culture is rich with traditions, superstitions and good fortune symbols. In the book, Sadako is told by a friend that if she folds 1,000 paper cranes the Gods will grant her wishes to live, and she will be healed. In order to bolster her flagging spirits, Sadako begins to vigorously fold paper cranes in her hospital bed. She uses whatever material is available: scrap paper, labels from medicine bottles, etc. At the time of her death, she only completed 644 paper cranes. Her classmates from school decided to fold the rest of the 1,000 paper cranes as a tribute to Sadako.
Eventually, children from all over Japan saved money to purchase a statue that was erected in her honor at the Hiroshima Peace Park in 1958. Every year on August 6th (Peace Day), members of the Folded Crane Club place thousands of paper cranes beneath her memorial. The engraving on the statue reads:
This is our cry,
this is our prayer;
peace in the world.
this is our prayer;
peace in the world.
4 comments:
That is such a neat story! What made you interested in reading it in the first place? Had someone recommended it to you? I would like to find more childrens stories like this one, the ones that have such a good message, to read to and teach my boys! Thank you for making me think of my blessings today!
I saw this book on Reading Rainbow!
Thank you so much for sharing that. . . I haven't thought about that story in forever, and just reading your description brought tears to my eyes. . . . Oh, if only we could focus more on caring for each other and actually aiming for peace!
I read that book back in the day in school. I remember our class actually made paper cranes after reading the book. I should read it again. I don't remember a book after I read it. My memory is HORRIBLE lately! Blame it on the pregnancy I guess......
Post a Comment